DEVELOPMENT APPROACHES FOR TRAINING TEACHERS TO INTEGRATE TECHNOLOGY INTO THE CLASSROOM Dean T. Spaulding and Evan J. Seiden, USA
NOTE; Theese are my conference notes. Conference proceedings are the only validated source.www.iadis.org
Introduction: How to, no longer IF we should integrate…
20 school districts, 16 public and 4 non-public, government founded project, 8 teachers per high school involved.
1. Online courses: 10-14 were available to each teacher.
2. Pair- Modelling :”outsider” trainer coming in for 7 days
3. Project groups of teachers would have a $5000 mini pot to selected technology of their own choice
Teacher survey-Archival Usage (data stored of use)- Interviews & Site visits- Trainer survey
Thoroughly crosschecking was done by triangulate surveys and interviews’ and data use.
- Online courses PD Approach, -provided by project partner (external).
- Low use by teachers
i. Yr 1- 33%, Yr 2- 7% of teachers participated in at least one online course
ii. However those who did found it valuable and informative
iii. Why not?: Time, irrelevant course topic etc..
- Lots of funds not spent. Govt’ expected this to be the most important tool/approach. They were wrong!
- Pair-Modelling PD Approach
- Yr 1. All 20 buildings completed all 7 day trainer assistance. Yr 2 poor.
i. Challenge was scheduling/ finding time
- Three chosen technologies and teachers had no say. example- Moodle: was not seen as relevant. Elluminate (video conf.) had technical and usability problems
- Project groups- CMP
- All buildings in Yr 1 and 2 completed with a variety from IPAD to own video conferencing tools (that even cost more than $5000)
- Report unique and successful
i. Challenge: MANY! But teachers didn’t abandon technology like with Elluminate, they chose to work to address the challanges
ii. Teachers reflexions revealed they might have chosen other technologies if given new chance
– CMP Unique successful approach for training teachers to integrate technology into the classroom
– Focus on giving teachers autonomy
– Provide framework for teachers to select, criticise and reflect on integration
Discoussion after the presentation:
– This is in line with theory of learning.
– Culture of organization will affect success of such initiative.
– Typically funding and decision on technology goes to higher level in the organization.
– 8 is a small number of teachers on buildings with 2000 students.